Make these healthy, dog friendly scones for your Platinum Jubliee high tea!
Thursday 19th May 2022
Get your pooch involved with the Jubilee celebrations with some tasty homemade scones! Created by our very own Ness Bird, Arden Grange nutrition advisor and registered vet nurse, this yummy, naturally hypoallergenic recipe will get tails wagging.
- - 300g of liver, trimmed and diced
- - 75g gluten-free self-raising flour
- - One large egg
- - 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- - One small garlic clove
- Put the liver, egg, olive oil and garlic in a blender and turn on. When the mixture is reasonably smooth, tip it out into a mixing bowl and add the flour until the mixture is of flap-jack type consistency.
- Spoon your mixture into a cupcake tin, lined with paper cases (remove cases before serving!).
- Cook in a preheated oven at about 180 degrees C for 20 - 30 minutes.
- Leave to cool – out of reach of your dog!
- Cut in half lengthways and instead of cream and jam, top with a dollop of Arden Grange Tasty Liver Treat.
- - This recipe (without the Tasty Liver Treat filling) can be stored in the fridge for a couple of days. Larger batches can be frozen and defrosted for use when needed.
- - It is important that dogs get a balanced diet. Liver is high in vitamin A, so give in moderation.
- - Don’t forget to reduce your dog’s daily food allowance to allow for the extra calories treats provide. As a rough guide you can expect a medium scone to contain approx. 120 kcals (without toppings).
- - For dogs who require fat restriction, the oil can be substituted with fat-free cottage cheese and an extra egg white.